Monday, October 27, 2014


As You can see the above article obviously discusses 5 different effects that the social networking world can have on a person.  These 5 effects discussed are taking pictures of food can be because one has an eating disorder, online-offline connections, having social networks as a result of loving yourself, the harmful side of Facebook, and the topic of self-esteem.  Basically some researchers decided to study humans behavior and interactions with the social media world.


As for the subject of taking pictures of food some researchers found that this could be a sign of the person having either an eating or a weight disorder.  I found this to be a bit bogus but as I read on I noticed that they said that this of course does not pertain to everyone.  I still don't quite understand how they came to this conclusion, but then again, they are the professionals.Another study found that teenagers who also connect with their parents on social media have a better connection with their parents offline.  They also said that social networks don't have that great of an effect on married couples which I can see.  But it all depends on how you choose to use it.  You don't have to let it influence you in negative ways.The third topic was saying that having social media accounts is a result of loving yourself.  I know this isn't true for everyone but I definitely agree that most people online have a deep infatuation with themselves.  Especially the people who post all of their infamous "selfies".  The topic of the harmful side of Facebook pretty much stated teenagers who use Facebook frequently are more prone to depression, lower grades, and psychological disorders.  That's what happens when you sit behind a computer screen all day.  Take a break!  But on the flip-side teenagers who use Facebook can also better show "virtual empathy", which is a positive.  The last study showed that a quick check to one's Facebook profile can boost their self-esteem, especially is that take a browse through their photos.  I might have to use this technique on days when I'm feeling a little down.


This article basically explains what social media is, who uses it, and what we use it for. This article also discusses the topic of social media addiction, which is a very real thing.  I tend to check my Instagram and Snapchat A LOT but I wouldn't consider myself addicted.. at least I hope I'm not.  Another issue discussed in this article is the fact that quite a few people say that social media has effected their behavior in a negative way.  My take on this is that social media is great and all but we can't let it define who we are.  Social media doesn't make you, you make it.  Remember that people.

In my opinion, social media is a great way of keeping up with, and allowing others to keep up with you.  From family, to old friends, and to new friends social media is the way to keep in touch these days whether through Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or the countless others.  People just need to understand the correct ways to use it in order to positively influence theirs and others lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment